Skip to content

Social Security Number

The Social Security Administration (SSA) will only issue a Social Security Number (SSN) to F-1 student visa holders or J-1 Exchange Visitors who have one of the following:
  1. An on-campus job;
  2. Are authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or;
  3. Students with an EAD card issued for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
If you do not have a job, or commitment of a job, you will not be issued a Social Security Number. The Social Security Administration will not accept applications more than 30 days in advance of the employment start date. If you need a verification letter for your Social Security application. 

If you have already started a Document request for a Social Security Verification Letter, DO NOT start a new one. Please go to your User Home Page to continue working on your existing request.